Life at a Job Corps center can be an exciting and educational experience. A Job Corps center is a great place to complete an education, learn a marketable trade, make lifetime friends and graduate with a good job in hand. Each Job Corps center is unique. Most, however, feature campus-like settings with dormitories where students live.
Job Corps provides its students the guidance and support they need to achieve long-term employment and success. The student "life cycle" includes the following four phases:
- Outreach and Admissions (OA)
- Career Preparation Period (CPP)
- Career Development Period (CDP)
- Career Transition Period (CTP)
Outreach and Admissions (OA)It is during this first phase of the program that students learn:
- What Job Corps is about
- How Job Corps can help him/her start a career
- What learning and working on a Job Corps center will be like
- What his/her responsibilities will be as a student
- What vocational offerings will be available at his/her chosen center.
Career Preparation Period (CPP)During the first 60 days on a Job Corps center students:
- Learn, demonstrate, and practice personal responsibility skills required at the workplace
- Acquire job search skills including computer fluency
- Create and commit to a personal career development plan (PCDP)
- Visit and learns about One Stop Career centers.
Career Development Period (CDP)With the help of center staff and employers, the student learns, demonstrates and practices industry-related:
- Technical and academic skills
- Interpersonal communication and problem solving skills
- Social and personal management skills.
- Begins the job search process
- Prepares for independent living
Career Transition Period (CTP)During CTP, which begins on center and extends to the post-center period, students:
- Participate in a structured, on-center career transition readiness course
- Obtains employment
- Locates living accommodations, transportation and family support resources
- Continues to contact Job Corps service providers to seek their support if needed
- Responds to six and 12 month survey requests